You purchase quality oils from reputable manufacturers and ensure it is labeled, delivered and represented exactly as it should be. Your reputation is everything and you protect it fiercely. So why would you need MOM?
You are doing the right thing, but as the guy in the middle, you could get blame from both upstream and downstream should anything go wrong for an end consumer. API has made it well known that an alarming 1 in 5 bulk oils tested by API failed to meet API performance. Don't be the one left holding the bag or having to answer because someone else didn't hold up their end of the bargain. Consumer distrust created by others who do the wrong thing also impacts you and our industry as a whole and is bad...but can be an opportunity for those whose reputation for quality is beyond question. MOM can help you be that distributor.
How Does MOM Benefit You?
- Differentiates you from competitors in your area and positions you to take business from those who do not provide the assurance of MOM certification
- Discourages other distributors from mixing together lesser quality motor oils from other sources
- Highlights your commitment to oil change locations and consumers
- Levels playing field by preventing inaccurate claims about motor oils
How does it work and how much does it cost?
Before becoming licensed, distributors and oil change locations will need to demonstrate that they meet a new API chain-of-custody standard. This will include an auditing process to ensure you qualify for MOM. API will review your application to make sure it meets program requirements. Approved locations that have closed all outstanding audits to the satisfaction of API will receive a Welcome Packet that includes a certificate, select marketing materials, and information you can proudly share with your existing and potential customers to illustrate your elite commitment to delivering quality.
Along with your application, you only need to provide PDF copies of:
- Three Bills of Lading from the latest delivery or deliveries received by the distributor location(s) within the last six months
- Three Drop Tickets for orders delivered within the last six months
- Three Customer Receipts for orders delivered within the last six months
All licenses are awarded by location, so if you have more than one location you will need to provide details about each. An on-site sample audit is required for each location to be licensed. After the application is submitted, an auditor will contact the location(s) to make arrangements for the audit. Results of the audit will be shared with the account manager. The application fee for one or more locations is $3,000.00 and a fee of $250.00 will be assessed for each location to be licensed – a small price to pay to deliver added assurances to your manufacturers that you are a good steward of their brand and products and peace of mind to your customers knowing you have delivered a quality product..
If you have your documentation and are ready to sign up now, click here.
If you should have any issues, please contact the API Help Desk.
For help with a MOM application or an account, you can download the MOM Distributor User Guide.